BMW Mini Mark IV1976 - 2000
Category: Mini (before BMW acquisitions)
The Mark IV was introduced in 1976. It has a front rubber mounted subframe with single tower bolts and the rear frame had some larger bushes introduced. Twin stalk indicators were introduced with larger foot pedals. From 1977 onwards, the rear indicator lamps had the reverse lights incorporated in them. In 1980, the engine was uprated to the improved A-Plus unit from the Metro. This was then followed by a number of later incremental developments:
In 1978, the Mini was one of the key cars made available to disabled motorists under the new Motability scheme.
Reports of the Mini's imminent demise surfaced again in 1980 with the launch of the Austin Mini-Metro (badging with the word mini in all lowercase). Faced with competitions from more practical and modern designs like the Ford Fiesta, Renault 5 and Volkswagen Polo, the Mini was beginning to fall out of favour in many export markets, with the South African, Australian, and New Zealand markets all stopping production around this time. Although the Mini continued to be produced after the Metro's launch, production volumes were reduced as British Leyland and successor combine Rover Group concentrated on the Metro as its key supermini. 1981 was the Mini's last year in the top ten of Britain's top selling cars, as it came ninth and the Metro was fifth.
The fibreglass Mini built in Chile from 1970 until 1974 was not the only fibreglass version: in the summer of 1991, a fibreglass bodied Mini again entered production, this time in Venezuela. The producer, Facorca, intended to sell the car in the Caribbean and Central America, and also had plans for Brazilian assembly.
|BMW Mini Mark IV|
|1280 x 1008 ... 186 KB|
|BMW Mini Mark IV||Cooper|